We value the work travel writers do to promote destinations to their readers. We hope these resources will spur ideas and help you create content on Calvert County, Maryland. Please reach out and let us know how we can assist you with your next story by emailing email@example.com or filling out our "Contact Us" form.
Guidelines for Travel Writers
The mission of the Tourism unit of the Calvert County Economic Development office is to assist qualified journalists in developing stories about Calvert County attractions, accommodations, restaurants and travel-related businesses.
To serve you better, we have developed the following set of guidelines as a way of ensuring that all journalists receive equal consideration. We appreciate your willingness to abide by these guidelines.
- All journalists will be asked to fill out an application. The application includes a request for copies and links of recently published travel stories and/or an assignment letter.
- Arrangements for independent writers will be handled on a case-by-case basis and will often depend on seasonal availability and budget.
- Complimentary accommodations, if offered, will NOT include any incidentals (ex. phone charges, non-complimentary Wifi, room service, parking, valet, tips, etc.). Calvert County Economic Development cannot guarantee a complimentary stay as it is often at the discretion of our partner sites.
- Complimentary meal(s) will NOT include alcohol. Calvert County Economic Development cannot guarantee complimentary meal(s) as it is often at the discretion of our partner sites.
- Calvert County Economic Development is not able to provide rental cars for visiting journalists.
- Journalists traveling independently sometimes wish to bring friends and family members with them. Guest complimentary admission will be left up to the discretion of our attraction, accommodation, restaurant and event contacts. If they are unable to supply gratis services, the journalist agrees to be responsible for any costs incurred by the extra traveler(s).
- All articles and stories should reference VisitCalvert.com Calvert COunty Tourism website and contact information as appropriate (hotels, museums, attractions, etc.)
- As a matter of courtesy, we request that all journalists hosted by Calvert County Economic Development please send at least one copy of any article, story or blog generated as a result of the visit. Details about circulation, reach and audience are appreciated.
Please note that any offer of assistance is extended to working media only; we will not provide assistance if the primary purpose of your trip is for leisure or holiday travel with your friends or family.
If you are new to Calvert County, these suggestions may spark ideas for your next piece. If you've already covered us, consider going more in depth to feature other attractions. The possibilities are endless.
- Maryland’s Smallest County is Big on Things To Do
- Ospreys, Eagles and Egrets: Birding on the Bay
- Chesapeake Bay Paddling, Kayaking and Canoeing
- A Taste of Solomons OR A Taste of the Twin Beaches
- Stars & Stripes Festival: A Celebration of our Military Heroes
- Dragon Boats on the Bay
- Maritime History in Southern Maryland
- A Garden In Lights: Celebrating the Holidays
- Polar Bear Plunging Into the Bay
- History of the Chesapeake Beach Railroad: Washington DC’s Connection to the Beach
- Fairies and Gnomes: Hidden Homes
- A Cooking Experience with a Professional Chef
- Jousting Tournament: Maryland’s Official Sport
- Kilts, Celts and Bagpipes: Annual Celtic Festival Brings Tradition to Life
- Native American Heritage in Southern Maryland
- Smithsonian’s Fine Art at Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center
- Twin Beaches on the Bay
- Charter Fishing in the Charter Boat Capital of Maryland: Rockfish, Stripers and Bass
- Solomons and the History of Maryland’s Oyster Industry
- How to Pick a Blue Crab
- In Search of the Perfect Crab Cake
- Maryland’s Archaeological Conservation Lab: A Treasure Trove of Collections
- Chesapeake Biological Lab Happenings
- Chesapeake Bay Lighthouses: Drum Point and Cove Point
- Star-Spangled Banner Trail
- Calvert Barn Quilt Trail
- The Lore of the Oyster House
- Southern Maryland Wines: Something Special
- Southern Maryland Brews: Unique and Inviting
- Calvert’s 100-year-old One-Room Schoolhouse
- Beach Camping on the Bay
- Watermen’s Festival
- For Family Fun, Just Add Water!
- Agritourism: Farm Family Fun
- Calvert County – a daytrip from (DC, VA, DE, PA)
- A Photo Essay of Calvert County
- Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum: History Comes to Life
- Calvert Cliffs State Park: A Walk with Ancient Sharks
- Battle Creek Cypress Swamp: Nature’s Treasure
- Hiking with Kids at American Chestnut Land Trust
- African American Community Day
Calvert County in the Media
Get a glimpse of what others have found in Calvert County.
Local Bloggers Share Favorite Spots
- Jefferson Patterson Park: "Where History and Nature Surround You" (PDF) Local Bloggers Share Favorite Spots - May 2022
- Three Boardwalks, Two Towns, One Morning (PDF) - March 2022
In the Press
- Paddling in Calvert County, Maryland - Blue Ridge Outdoors, 2022
- Rocking the Rockfish in Calvert County, Md. - Blue Ridge Outdoors, 2022
- More than the Shore: Calvert Cliffs State Park - Maryland Road Trips, 2021
- Art Among the Trees: Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center in Solomons - Maryland Road Trips, 2021
- Maryland’s Bayside Jewels: Chesapeake Beach and North Beach - Maryland Road Trips, 2021
- Hiking, Beaching, & a Little Fossil Hunting at Calvert Cliffs State Park - KidFriendly DC, March 2021
- Get Outdoors in Calvert County, Md. - Blue Ridge Outdoors, March 2021
- Bounty of the Bay: The Maryland Crab & Oyster Trail - AAA, February 2021
- Trips From DC: A Weekend in Calvert County, MD - Heather Bien, October 2020
- More than the Shore: Calvert Cliffs State Park - Chris Vandergrift, September 2020
- Solomons Island, Maryland - Escape to Paradise Island! - Pittsburgh Nightwire Magazine, February 2020
- Maryland and Virginia Old Bay - RoadRUNNER Magazine, September/October 2019
- Just wait ’til next year! - Recreation News, September 2019
- This Hike In Maryland Is Full Of Jaw-Dropping Natural Pools - Only In Your State, July 2019
- 9 Unspoiled Vacation Spots - Fishing Booker, July 2019
- Search For Shark Teeth At This One Beautiful Beach In Maryland - Only In Your State, July 2019
- Surrounded By Water: Paddle Calvert County, MD - Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine, June 2019
- Replacing tobacco with tourism - Recreation News, May 2019
- The call of the Rockfish beckons from Maryland’s Calvert County - Recreation News, April 2019
- Small space yields big options for recreation in Calvert County - Recreation News, May 2018
- Prehistoric Adventures at Brownies Beach! - Adventure Moms DC, April 2018