Veterans Affairs Commission
The Veteran Affairs Commission serves in an advisory capacity to the Board of County Commissioners on programs, polices, and initiatives affecting the veterans of Calvert County.
“All Calvert County veterans are receiving the benefits and services to which they are entitled.”
“To advocate for all Calvert County veterans and their families while fostering a spirit of fellowship for veterans in our community.”
- Board of County Commissioners shall appoint nine (9) voting members, each of whom has separated from the military service under honorable conditions. Of the nine (9) members:
- One (1) member shall be an owner or operator of a local business;
- One (1) member shall be an educator or educational administrator;
- Three (3) members shall be at-large; and
- Four (4) members shall be members of the American Legions within Calvert County, with one (1) member from each of the following Legions:
- American Legion Post 206;
- American Legion Post 220;
- American Legion Post 274; and
- American Legion Post 85.
- The Board of County Commissioners shall designate the following non-voting members, who will be considered ex officio:
- The Director of Stateside Military Operations of University of Maryland Global Campus, or their designee;
- The Veterans Affair Coordinator of College of Southern Maryland, or their designee; and
- A member of the Board of County Commissioners, or their designee
Members shall be appointed for 3-year terms and no Commission member shall be eligible to serve more than three (3) consecutive full terms.
For more information, refer to Resolution 13-21 Pertaining to the Creation of the Veterans Affairs Commission.
- The Veterans Affairs Commission complies with the Open Meetings Act.
- Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month at 5 p.m. in the Community Resources Building, 30 Duke Street, Prince Frederick, MD, Extension Service Conference Room. Agendas and Minutes are available here Open Meetings Open Meetings .
Ex Officio Members
- Christian Zimmermann, M.A., M.B.A., College of Southern Maryland Veterans Affairs Coordinator
- Lorraine Joyner, 410-535-1600, ext. 8803.